N95 Respirators, Surgical Masks, and Face Masks: What You Should Know
An essential element that protects us from catching the covid infection is the 'mask.' Masks have been used for a long time by constructors and doctors. With the rapid expansion of new factories and industries, the pollution level has increased enormously.
Some of the industries emit deadly gases that are very harmful to the workers over there. Inhalation of such gases can lead to severe side effects, and to prevent these, it is crucial to wear a mask. There are several options on the disposable face mask Canada medic supply website. Over there, you can easily avail certain discounts on specific masks.
The best example of personal protective equipment includes N95 respirators and surgical masks. Both of them are used to protect the wearer from airborne particles and liquid contaminating the face.
N95 respirators have also been recommended for regulation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Especially for those whose occupation is at places that emit dust, harmful pollutants, and airborne diseases.
Types of Masks
When it comes to face masks for Covid-19 prevention, it’s generally three types of masks:
- Surgical mask
- N95 respirator
- Homemade cloth face mask
Now, let’s explore each of them in little more detail given below.
Surgical masks come with loose-fitting and are disposable. These disposable face masks cover the nose, mouth, and chin. Such masks are typically used to:
- Protect the wearer from large-particle droplets, splashes, splatter, or sprays that might contain viruses and bacteria.
- Prevent the transmission of infectious respiratory secretions from the wearer to others or vice versa.
You can easily avail yourself of surgical masks from the medical supply store online. Such mask varies in design, but it commonly comes flat and rectangular in shape and pleats and folds. The top of the mask consists of a metal strip that gives perfect fitting to your nose area.
Some of the surgical masks come with elastic bands, and some consist of long, straight ties. Thus, these masks can either be looped behind your ears or tied behind your head.
What can't surgical masks provide?
General Surgical Mask Precautions
- These masks are not intended to be used more than once.
- If your mask is soiled or damaged, or if you experience breathing difficulties, you should remove the mask, discard it safely, and replace it with the new one.
- This mask needs to be discarded safely by placing it in the plastic bag and putting it in the trash. Wash your hands properly after discarding the mask.
N95 respirators are those masks that are primarily used in healthcare settings. These masks come with a very close facial fitting that seals the nose and mouth area. The layers of this mask provide efficient filtration of airborne particles.
Along with sprays, splashes, and large droplets, this respirator can also filter out 95 percent of microscopic particles, including viruses and bacteria. Elastic bands help hold this mask firmly to your face.
General N95 Respirator Precautions
- Some of the N95 respirator models come with exhalation valves that make breathing easier. However, such N95 respirator models should not be used when sterile conditions are needed.
- These masks are not recommended for children and people with facial hair.
- Consult a doctor before using an N95 respirator if you have chronic respiratory, cardiac, or other medical conditions that make breathing difficult. This mask can make it more difficult for the wearer to breathe.
- If the N95 respirator is damaged or soiled, or if there's difficulty breathing, remove the mask and replace it with a new one. Discard the mask properly by putting it in the plastic bag and then in the trash. Wash your hands properly after discarding them.
The CDC now recommends that everyone wears fabric face masks, such as DIY face masks, to prevent the virus from spreading from people who don't have symptoms.
Their recommendation includes:
- Use cloth face masks rather than surgical or N95 masks, as there's already a shortage of such masks reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders.
- Healthcare workers should take extra measures when wearing this mask, such as wearing a face shield covering the sides and the front of the face area.
- Must wear face masks in public settings, such as grocery stores and pharmacies.
Final verdictMasks are for personal safety, and in this pandemic, everyone should wear a mask for themselves as well as for other's protection. You can easily avail the cheapest masks from wholesale medical supplies Canada stores. It is an online platform that aims to help people in this tough time by providing masks at the most affordable rate.