Helping Fight COVID-19
At Medic Supplies we know we have a social responsibility to help fight COVID-19. To help battle COVID-19 we have taken it upon ourselves to help our most at-risk populations by;
1. Designating our inventory to those most at risk: We have made sure that those that need protective personal equipment(PPE) most such as frontline healthcare workers and those in long term care settings have priority to our inventory.
2. Donations: As there is a tremendous shortage in supply of PPE in our hospitals and long term care centers we are doing our part to give back by donating PPE.
3. Educating our clients: We have weekly newsletters in which our medical directors help summarize the latest updates in the pandemic and help provide tips to keep you and your family safe.
From the medic supplies family to yours, we have outlined some useful information to help answer some of the questions you may have about the coronavirus:
What is COVID-19 and what are the symptoms?
• Coronaviruses are very common in animals worldwide, but only a handful of them are known to affect humans.
• Usually, symptoms are like a common cold, though in some cases, the viruses can cause lower-respiratory tract illnesses such as pneumonia and bronchitis.
• There is no current medication or vaccine for COVID-19
How do I know if I have COVID-19?
• Self Assessment - If you think you have 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use this self-assessment to help determine if you need to seek further care:https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-self-assessment
• If you are having difficulty breathing or experiencing other severe symptoms, call 911 immediately. Advise them of your symptoms and travel history.
Where can I get tested for COVID-19?
• COVID-19 Test sites are open around the GTA. If you think you need testing and need help locating the closest testing center to you call your local public health department or The Toronto Clinic and we will help to direct you.
What is the treatment for COVID-19?
• With COVID-19 most people will only need supportive care as with the regular flu (ie. tylenol, drink fluids, rest, stay at home) and to quarantine for 14 days. Advil is not recommended.
• People who are more at risk for severe consequences of COVID-19 are those >age 65, and those with pre-existing medical conditions.
How can I prevent getting or transmitting COVID-19?
• Wash your hands: Continue diligent hand washing for 30 seconds regularly while out in public, before eating and when returning home. Sanitizing your hands also helps.
• Stay Hydrated: Sip on water every 15 minutes or so. If you have congestive heart failure or other conditions your doctor has told you to limit water intake, simply space the recommended amount throughout the day.
• Social distancing: The virus is spread from person to person. Most cases are spread by people with mild or even no symptoms. We should all act responsibly and minimize spreading as much as possible by avoiding crowded or public places while you have cold or flu symptoms, this includes walk-in clinics, medical clinics, and the workplace. Telecommute where possible, avoid shaking hands and do an elbow bump or foot tap instead, and consider avoiding large gatherings.
• Stay home when you are sick: If you are sick or feel you may be getting sick - stay home. Contact your occupational health department if available. Encourage family members, employees, and colleagues to do the same.
• Minimize visiting vulnerable populations: For example, many nursing homes have implemented restrictions on visitors to prevent spread to their residents. Be mindful not to visit those who are at risk if you are feeling ill.
Have any questions? Feel free to contact us and our Medic Supplies Canada team will do the best to help you forward!